Integrity and Accountability
UNODC supports the efforts of the Sahel states to promote transparency and to fight corruption. This technical assistance supports the reinforcement of national legislation by aligning them with international text as well as operational support through political capacity building.
The Situation: Integrity and Accountability in the Sahel
In order to effectively fight against corruption, the approach must be governmental and societal at the same time, including different sectors and branches of government, civil society groups and the private sector. The United Nations Convention against Corruption (UNCAC) is a powerful and important tool in the fight against corruption. The Convention promotes the prevention of corruption, the application of the law, international cooperation and asset recovery. It also favors the application of principles such as transparency and public participation in the fight against corruption. To achieve this objective of promoting integrity in this region, UNODC aims to:
- Reinforce legislation, politics and anti-corruption strategies in accordance with recommendations of the UNCAC raised during examination of each country;
- Build operational capacities and investigative capacity of corruption in the public sphere;
- Raise awareness about questions of the fight against corruption and the implication of the public
- Promote prevention measures against corruption, like the declaration of assets by public servants, investigative journalism and university instruction on the fight against corruption;
- Integrate anti-corruption principles in national and regional projects concerning the application of the law;
the regional networks in the fight against corruption, in particular anti-corruption
authorities in West Africa and across the continent;
According to this approach, and in line with the UNCAC, UNODC develops activities in the framework if its anti-corruption programme in the Sahel countries in line with: (i) the reinforcement of anti-corruption legislative frameworks at the national level; (ii) building capacities of actors in the criminal justice chain charged with the detection and prosecution of corruption and related crimes; and (iii) the reinforcement of integrity of criminal justice actors (including the Police Component of the G5 Sahel Joint Force), resulting in their increased efficiency and stronger trust between the population and their actions.
According to this framework, and within the Sahel countries, UNODC worked more specifically in the Sahel on the following activities:
- Assist the Sahel states to complete the self evaluation in the framework of the second cycle of the application of the UNCAC review mechanism (including preventative measures and asset recovery)
- Provide technical assistance in conforming the legal and institutional frameworks of the Sahel countries in the matter of corruption, on the basis of the results of the application of the UNCAC, notably the recommendations already formulated in the framework of its first cycle (concerning criminalization and international cooperation).
- Support national training organizations within the magistrate and detection and repression services in the development and updating of curricula concerning the fight against corruption.
- Support building capacities of actors in the criminal justice chain (including national authorities implicated in the fight against corruption and the economic and financial poles established within national tribunals) investigate and prosecute corruption cases.
- Provide technical assistance aiming to reinforce the operations and the efficiency of national anti-corruption institutions.
- Support and facilitate regional and international corruption between authorities implicated in the detection and prosecution of corruption cases.
- Promote integrity within security forces and the judicial authorities, notably by the development and the establishment of anti-corruption strategies for each service.
- Support the implementation of anti-corruption strategies in the fight against corruption and the promotion of integrity within the police, gendarmerie and customs already developed in Burkina Faso.
- In cooperation with the relevant national training institutions and other sections of UNODC, develop curricula on integrity and ethics and organize training activities targeting security forces.
- Develop a strategy promoting integrity and transparency within the G5 Sahel Joint Force, supporting the establishment of methods of accountability for its members, as well as the establishment of an operational methodology facilitating the transparency of its procedures.
- Support the training of journalists and civil society to reinforce the external control and accountability of actors of the criminal justice chain.
- Strengthen investigation and judicial prosecution capacity of corruption infractions in Sahel countries.